Dental care technology is continually improving. Nevertheless, many people continue to suffer tooth loss due to periodontal disease, injury, and tooth decay. Previously, dentures and bridges were the only alternatives to repair tooth loss. Today, you can opt for dental implants in Columbia, MD at Columbia Smiles.
What Are Dental Implants?
Columbia Smiles offers dental implants to provide clients with a long-lasting alternative to dentures. Dental implants bond with your jawbone to provide a secure, stable base for an artificial tooth or crown. They are the most durable option for replacement teeth and provide you with a fully functional, natural-looking smile.
Advantages of Dental Implants from Columbia Smiles
Though dental implants are common, you want a trustworthy professional performing the procedure. Our board-certified dentist, Dr. David Halpern, will consult with you on the right treatment plan for your tooth loss. He’ll then refer you to our network of dental surgeons to complete the surgery. Once the surgical site has healed, Dr. Halpern will attach the permanent tooth.
The advantages of dental implants include:
- Looking better – Dental implants look like your teeth and feel natural
- Speaking clearly – Dentures can slip and cause you to mumble and slur your speech, but implants do not move
- Increased comfort and confidence – Dental implants are permanent and eliminate the awkwardness of removable dentures
- Eating what you want – Dentures move around, making it hard to chew certain foods, but secure implants allow you to eat your favorite foods without pain
- Improvements to self-esteem – Dental implants give you a confident smile
Your dentist will speak to you candidly about your chances of success with dental implants in Columbia, MD. And with proper care, implants can last the rest of your life.
How Can You Prepare for Dental Implants?
Preparation for your dental implants involves several stages. Because the dental implant procedure is complex, we want to make sure that you understand what will be happening and feel comfortable in our hands. Before you begin the surgical process, you will complete several steps with the help of the professional staff at Columbia Smiles, including:
- A comprehensive dental exam – Your dentist will use X-rays and 3D models to create the implants and crowns
- A review of your medical history – Let us know of any prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs you take. If you have a heart condition, for example, the dentist may prescribe antibiotics before each surgery to protect you against infection
- A treatment plan – We will discuss which teeth to replace and how to care for your implants
Before the surgeries, your dental professionals administer either sedation, general anesthesia, or local anesthesia so that you won’t feel pain. Depending on the type of anesthesia used, we will instruct you on allowed food and beverages before the procedure. Finally, you will need to arrange transportation and plan to rest for the remainder of the day.
What to Expect
Dental implants in Columbia, MD are installed during an outpatient procedure. There are several steps with healing time between each step:
- Removal of the damaged tooth or teeth
- Grafting of the jawbone, if needed
- Placement of the dental implant in the bone
- Bone growth and healing
- Placement of the abutment (a connector to hold the crown)
- Placement of the artificial tooth or teeth
Although the process may take several months, much of that is spent waiting for bone growth. When possible, we will combine steps to speed up the process.
Dental Implant Restorations
If you are having issues with existing dental implants, such as a loose implant or damaged crown, seek help right away. Though dental implant procedures are typically highly successful, problems are possible. We can quickly diagnose and find a solution to your dental implant issues and provide a dental implant restoration in Columbia, MD. Whether we need to simply replace the crown or remove and replace the implant, at Columbia Smiles, we will work to find the right fix so that you can return to full functionality.
Columbia Smiles – Dental Implants in Columbia, MD
You deserve the bright, comfortable, natural smile made possible by dental implants in Columbia, MD. If you have any questions about dental implant restoration, contact Columbia Smiles at 410.690.4855 today. We look forward to talking with you about your dental care needs.