The removal of wisdom teeth can be beneficial for various reasons. For example, it reduces overcrowding which helps avoid future dental problems and may help save money on possible long-term treatments. Wisdom teeth removal can also help prevent dental shifting, which can cause serious damage to your teeth and gums. With this said, many people worry about the procedure itself. While it is a surgery, it’s a fairly simple one and is generally pain-free when performed by an experienced oral surgeon.
If you’re in need of wisdom teeth removal in Columbia, MD, reach out to Dr. Parisa Parizadeh and Dr. Michael Hsu at Columbia Smiles. With years of experience and a commitment to gentle, comprehensive care, you can rest assured knowing that your oral healthcare needs are being closely monitored.
Understanding the Need for Wisdom Teeth Removal
Your wisdom teeth are the last set of molars to erupt, usually between the ages of 17–24. In some cases, these teeth can come in normally, but more often than not, they can become impacted (beneath the gum line) or misaligned. Wisdom teeth can also put pressure on an already crowded mouth, leading to overcrowding and misalignment of other teeth. This can cause dental issues such as pain, gum disease, and damage to other teeth.
The removal of your wisdom teeth can help reduce or eliminate overcrowding and prevent potential dental issues from occurring. By having your wisdom teeth removed, you can protect the health of your mouth and save money on possible long-term treatments down the road.
The procedure itself usually takes about 90 minutes and is performed under local anesthesia. Post-surgery, you may experience minor swelling and discomfort, which can be managed with cold compresses and pain medication prescribed by your surgeon. You’ll need to take it easy for a few days afterward and follow your surgeon’s instructions on how to care for your mouth as it heals. Typically, you’ll be able to resume your normal activities within a few days.
The Five Biggest Benefits of Wisdom Teeth Removal
Why is wisdom teeth removal a beneficial and necessary procedure? Here are five of the most common benefits:
- Improved oral health – When your wisdom teeth come in and cause overcrowding, it can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Removing these teeth may lower the risk of developing cavities or other oral health issues.
- Alleviation of pain – Impacted wisdom teeth or overcrowding can cause pain and discomfort. Removing the teeth may help alleviate this pain.
- Reduced risk of infection – Infection is a common side effect of impacted wisdom teeth, as bacteria can easily get trapped in the gum line around these teeth and spread to other parts of your mouth.
- Easier cleaning – Impacted or misaligned wisdom teeth can be difficult to clean properly, which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Removing these teeth may improve your ability to clean your teeth during your regular brushing and flossing routine.
- Prevent dental shifting – When wisdom teeth become impacted, they can cause other teeth to shift and become crooked. Removing them can prevent this from happening.
Over time, impacted, misaligned, and crowded wisdom teeth can lead to a number of dental problems. By removing these teeth, you can improve your oral health and prevent the need for costly treatment.
Schedule an Appointment Today with Columbia Smiles
It’s common to have some anxiety surrounding wisdom teeth removal, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful experience. At Columbia Smiles, we believe that the patient’s comfort and safety are of utmost importance. In our Howard County practice, you’ll receive top-quality care from experienced and compassionate dentists.
To learn more about wisdom teeth removal in Columbia, MD or to schedule a wisdom tooth consultation, contact us today at 410.690.4855.