Teeth whitening is a common and one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures performed. Many individuals are unhappy with the look of their smile due to yellowed, stained, or discolored teeth. If you’re ready to remove your stains, giving you a bright, white smile, it’s time to understand the best teeth whitening procedures available today.
Whether you choose teeth whitening in your dentist’s office or one of the many over-the-counter teeth whitening options available, your selection will ultimately determine the outcome. In-office teeth whitening is typically the best choice. To discover the confidence-boosting benefits of teeth whitening services, call your dentist today.
For safe, convenient, and effective teeth whitening in Howard County, reach out to Columbia Smiles Family Dentistry. Our experienced team, led by Dr. Michael Hsu, can help you achieve the smile of your dreams—just call 410.690.4855 today.
How Teeth Become Stained
Over time, teeth can become stained by many things, including:
- Foods and drinks, like red wine and tea
- Tobacco products
- Certain medications
- Poor oral hygiene
- Age-related discoloration
While good oral hygiene habits will help minimize staining, they can’t entirely eliminate it. Brushing and flossing regularly, along with regular dental check-ups, is essential for maintaining the health and appearance of your smile. If you’re looking to brighten up your smile, a professional teeth whitening procedure can help.
The Most Effective Teeth Whitening Services
The most effective teeth whitening services use a higher concentration of whitening agents like peroxide. Your dentist can use prescription-strength whitening solutions in the safety of their office.
What makes in-office teeth whitening procedures so effective? This approach offers a number of benefits:
- A trained professional will apply the solution exactly where you need it – By avoiding sensitive areas, your dentist can ensure maximum safety.
- The right concentration of ingredients ensures that it’s safe for enamel – Your enamel protects your teeth, and an experienced professional will avoid using anything that would harm it.
- Your dentist will determine if you’re a good candidate for teeth whitening – An exam can help your dentist determine if you’re a good candidate for this procedure.
- You can receive a recommendation for toothpaste and other elements of your at-home care routine – Keeping up with your at-home care routine can help you maintain the results of your procedure.
- You’ll see dramatic results in just one visit – The best teeth whitening methods yield results up to eight shades lighter.
- Your hygienist can make customized trays – Trays that aren’t customized may not fit properly, which can make the procedure ineffective as well as uncomfortable.
Your dentist can also send you home with a whitening kit that will still be more effective than what you’ll find in stores along with instructions.
It’s important to know that teeth whitening won’t be effective on veneers or crowns. If you have dental veneers or crowns, speak with your dentist about your options. When you have them put on, you can also ask for them to match the shade of your teeth after a round of whitening.
How to Keep Your Teeth White
Once you’ve removed all the stains from your teeth, how can you keep your teeth white for months or even years to come? Having a bright, white smile starts with your at-home oral care routine. Brushing your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush while using fluoride-containing toothpaste will help maintain your white smile.
Other strategies for keeping your teeth white include adjusting your diet and habits. Coffee, red wine, and cigarettes are some of the most common culprits for staining teeth. Brush your teeth after consuming foods that might discolor your enamel, or at the very least, rinse out your mouth with water.
Reach Out to Columbia Smiles Family Dentistry for the Top Cosmetic Dentistry Services
Columbia Smiles offers high-quality dental care to Howard County residents. For over 35 years, our community has entrusted the health of their teeth and gums to us, as well as their aesthetic goals. We focus on providing exceptional care with the most advanced technologies available, including teeth whitening services.
Ready for the smile you want? Schedule an appointment with the Columbia Smiles team today. We’ll help you remove years of stains to reveal a beautiful, confidence-boosting smile. Contact Dr. Hsu at 410.690.4855 or reach out to our team online to learn more.