While it’s easy to associate braces with middle schoolers, individuals at all ages may benefit from orthodontics. If your bite is not aligned, your teeth are crowded, or you have difficulty with your jaw, dental braces may address the issue. Today, there are more options for dental braces than ever, from traditional metal braces to clear tray aligners.
During an appointment with your dentist or orthodontist, you can address your concerns and discuss brace options. Make an appointment at Columbia Smiles today by calling our team at 410.690.4855.
Signs That Braces Are Necessary
For children and teens, checking for potential orthodontic problems is a standard part of dental care. Adults may also often benefit from braces. Many adults have issues with their bite or other oral health problems that may be reversed with braces.
Some of the signs that braces are necessary include:
- Visible crowding or crooked teeth
- A clicking jaw
- Difficulty chewing or closing your mouth properly
- Biting your tongue
- Difficulty flossing and reaching different areas of your mouth
- Difficulty pronouncing certain words
Braces aren’t just helpful for cosmetic reasons, although they can help improve the look of your smile. If you’re self-conscious about crowded or crooked teeth, speak with your dentist about your concerns. For some individuals, braces, veneers, teeth whitening, and other cosmetic dentistry services can be a confidence booster.
Dental braces may also improve the health of your teeth and gums for a number of reasons. If you’ve had difficulty flossing around certain teeth, they could become a breeding ground for bacteria. This bacteria can turn into plaque that can damage enamel and lead to cavities. Additionally, if you have difficulty eating certain foods, it’s possible to have digestive problems as a result. Braces can improve your bite and make it easier to eat, speak, and even breathe.
Speak With Your Dentist About Braces
Are you ready to take the next step? Speak with your dentist about braces during your next appointment, or make an appointment with a local orthodontist. Bring up any concerns you have, like difficulty with your bite or trouble flossing. Your dentist or orthodontist will walk you through the various options for braces, including:
- Traditional braces – Metal braces are cost-effective and can quickly move your teeth
- Ceramic braces – This option is nearly invisible and can help you feel more confident during the process
- Clear tray aligners – These custom-made aligners are an easy-to-use, unobtrusive alternative to traditional braces
Taking care of your braces involves brushing, flossing, and regular visits to your dentist. Your dentist will show you different ways to floss to ensure that you remove plaque from between your teeth and in hard-to-reach areas.
Reach Out to Columbia Smiles Today
At Columbia Smiles, we can determine if you need braces and can refer you to a trusted specialist. We’re here to help you keep your teeth and gums healthy, as well as help you feel more confident in your smile. In our Howard County dental practice, we offer a wide array of services, including:
- Cosmetic dentistry services – Teeth whitening and veneers can give you the smile you want
- Cleanings and exams – During a regular cleaning, your dentist will check for the early warning signs of oral health issues like tooth decay or gum disease
- Root canal support – Our dentists will recommend you to an endodontist should your teeth issues extend beyond the care they are able to provide inhouse
- Wisdom teeth removal consultation – If your wisdom teeth are impacted, removing them can help you avoid future issues
See why we’ve been trusted by our community for over 35 years. Schedule an appointment with Columbia Smiles at 410.690.4855 today or reach out to us online.