To keep your teeth and gums healthy, you need to be aware of, and use, the best dental best practices. These healthy habits can help you ward off tooth decay, infection, and gum disease, all of which can cause further health problems. Though you likely brush twice a day, floss occasionally, and visit the dentist when you develop a problem, dental best practices involve more than just these basics. Ward off many potential oral health problems, by exercising good oral hygiene habits. Schedule an appointment with your Columbia dentist today.
What Are Dental Best Practices?
How can you maintain healthy teeth and gums and prevent issues? In between cleanings and dental exams, there are a number of dental best practices that you can incorporate into your oral hygiene routine.
- Flossing – Use fresh floss for each tooth and keep it taut against your teeth. Avoid snapping it between your teeth into your gum.
- Brushing – Using small, circular motions, brush for 2-3 minutes twice a day. Be sure you’re not brushing too hard, this may irritate your gums and even damage your teeth. Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and replace your toothbrush every three months.
- Use fluoride – Fluoride toothpaste and rinses can help prevent cavities and are key to a strong dental health routine.
- Routine dental exams – Your dentist can catch issues that you cannot see or feel, like the early signs of gum disease or tooth decay. Skipping an exam allows these issues to go unchecked, leading to further problems
- Professional cleanings – Many adults do not regularly visit a general dentist. However, by skipping these cleanings, they are not taking the best possible care of their teeth. Cleanings get rid of hard-to-reach plaque and bacteria between the teeth.
In addition, what you consume can impact your dental health. Sugary drinks and foods, like soda or ice cream, can coat your teeth in bacteria and harmful acid. This acidic environment can break down your enamel and make your teeth more susceptible to decay. Smoking can also impact the health of your teeth and gums. In addition to weakening your body’s immune system, smoking can make it difficult for the tissues in your body to heal, including your gums. If you begin developing gum disease, smoking can make it more difficult for you to heal.
How Dental Best Practices Keep You Healthy
When you use dental best practices to keep your teeth clean, you ensure that plaque and bacteria cannot build up. You can avoid cavities, gum disease, and other issues by practicing good oral hygiene. If you’re not sure if your dental health practices are correct, discuss your habits with your dentist. They can help you develop the right routine. They can provide advice and even recommendations for toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss.
Regular visits to your dentist are key to staying healthy. Don’t let tooth decay or gum disease cause pain and lasting damage. Instead, stay on top of these issues with guidance from your dentist.
Make an Appointment Today
Columbia Smiles is a family-focused dental practice. Our Columbia, MD location has served Howard County residents for over 35 years. We are committed to making every patient feel welcomed and comfortable. We understand that going to the dentist is an anxiety-inducing experience for some. However, our team will answer any questions you have.
Our office will help you learn the dental best practices for maintaining your oral health. From cleanings and exams to staying ahead of plaque and tartar buildup to emergency dentistry services in the event of pain or injury, we will help you stay healthy. Contact Columbia Smiles at 410.690.4855 to learn more today.