What are dental veneers? Veneers are thin layers or shells made from porcelain or composite resin that are adhered to the teeth by a general or cosmetic dentist. They are designed to hide problems with the natural teeth and protect the teeth from damage. Dental veneers are used to treat a range of cosmetic concerns and are well-known as an easy way to improve smiles. Looking for dental veneer services in Columbia, Maryland? Contact Dr. Michael Hsu of Columbia Smiles today by calling 410.690.4855 or reaching out to our team online.
What Are Dental Veneers?
To continue the discussion of dental veneers, let’s examine the two main types of material used in their fabrication:
- Composite resin: These types of veneers may be directly attached to the teeth or indirectly fabricated by a dental technician and later bonded to the teeth of the patient using a resin cement. Composite resin veneers are typically used for dental treatment of adolescent patients who will need to change them to a more permanent design once they are adults. The lifespan of a composite resin veneer is approximately four years.
- Porcelain: These types of veneers may only be indirectly fabricated. A full dental veneer crown is a restoration that covers all the coronal tooth surfaces. On the other hand, a porcelain laminate veneer is a thin shell that covers only the surface of the tooth and is generally used for aesthetic purposes.
Your dentist will work with you to figure out which type of veneers are ideal for your case. On top of the type of material used, another difference to consider is the cost. Porcelain is typically considered the best material to use but is also usually more expensive.
Who Can Provide Dental Veneer Services?
Now that you know what dental veneers are, you may wonder what type of dental professional has the skillset of attaching them to your teeth. Many dental professionals offer veneer services:
- General dentists: These dental professionals typically help patients improve their oral health and appearance. Since veneers benefit both, general dentists often take on additional training to offer dental veneer services. A general dentist may recommend dental veneers to treat issues of worn-down enamel, chips, or cracks in teeth, or for primarily cosmetic reasons, such as to address stains that cannot be improved by whitening.
- Cosmetic dentists: The primary focus of a cosmetic dentist is to improve their patients’ smiles. Most cosmetic dentists offer dental veneer services. They are trained and experienced in helping patients through the steps of attaining dental veneers.
- Orthodontists: These dental professionals rarely offer dental veneer services. They are primarily focused on improving the alignment of the jaw and the teeth. While veneers can improve some cases of mild teeth misalignment, they do not correct jaw alignment in any way. However, some orthodontists may offer and have experience with dental veneer services.
When Should You Consider Dental Veneers?
There are three common reasons why a dental professional would recommend veneers to a patient:
- To cover up chipped or cracked teeth
- To cover up stains or discolorations in teeth
- To change the size or shape of teeth
If you’re struggling with any of the problems mentioned above, you should talk to your general dentist and see if you would benefit from dental veneers. Your general dentist may offer this service or possibly refer you to a cosmetic dentist to get your veneers done.
Reach Out to Columbia Smiles for Dental Veneer Services Today
If you’re searching for dental veneer services in Columbia, Maryland, contact Dr. Michael Hsu of Columbia Smiles today. Call 410.690.4855 or reach out to our team online.