If your dentist recommends a visit to an endodontist for a root canal, you might be wondering why. Root canals have a reputation for being a painful and complicated procedure, but they are often necessary to save a damaged or infected tooth. In fact, there are many benefits to getting a root canal. A root canal procedure can alleviate pain, restore your smile, and even save you from having more serious dental issues in the future.
At Columbia Smiles, we understand how intimidating root canals may seem. Our experienced team, under the leadership of Dr. Michael Hsu, is here to answer any questions you may have. They can also recommend an endodontist for your root canal procedure.
Why Your Dentist Might Recommend a Root Canal
Your dentist might recommend a root canal if you have a tooth that is damaged or infected. This can happen due to a number of reasons, including decay, trauma, or gum disease. In some cases, the damage may be so severe that the only way to save the tooth is with a root canal. During the procedure, the infected or damaged tissue inside the tooth is removed, and the tooth is sealed to prevent further infection.
The root canal procedure is often the best option to restore oral health and protect your smile. Local anesthesia ensures you don’t feel any pain or discomfort, and your dentist can explain what to expect before, during, and after the procedure.
The Biggest Benefits of Root Canals
Why are root canals such a popular dental procedure? Here are seven of the biggest benefits of getting a root canal:
- Pain relief – If you are experiencing tooth pain, a root canal can provide relief. The procedure removes the source of the pain, so you can enjoy a pain-free smile.
- Saving your tooth – Rather than extracting a damaged or infected tooth, a root canal can save the natural tooth. This means you won’t need to go through the process of getting a replacement tooth.
- Avoiding further infection – When a tooth is damaged or infected, there is a risk of the infection spreading to other parts of the body. A root canal can remove the infection and prevent it from spreading.
- Preserving your smile – Getting a root canal can help preserve your smile. When a tooth is extracted, it can cause other teeth to shift, which can affect the overall appearance of your smile.
- Saving money – A root canal is often more cost-effective than getting a replacement tooth.
- A fast recovery time – While the recovery time can vary, most people are able to return to their normal activities within a day or two after getting a root canal.
- Long-lasting results – With proper care, a tooth that has had a root canal can last a lifetime.
Talk to your dentist to find out if a root canal is the best option for restoring your oral health.
Taking Care of Your Teeth After a Root Canal
After getting a root canal, it is important to take care of your teeth to ensure the longevity of the tooth. This includes practicing good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing and flossing regularly and visiting your dentist for routine cleanings and checkups.
Make an Appointment with Columbia Smiles Today
Now that you know more about the benefits of getting a root canal, it’s time to make an appointment with Columbia Smiles. Our experienced team of dental professionals can help you restore your smile and maintain the health of your teeth and gums. Reach out to our team today at 410.690.4855 or connect with us online to learn more about how our award-winning dental practice can help.